Thursday, March 22, 2012

Celebration of Life

My uncle passed away this weekend.  He was a good man and he will be missed. 

My aunt, uncle, and all their kids always lived in my hometown.  It's great that when I go home to visit my mom I get to see all of them.  All of them includes my four cousins and their spouses and 10 children between them.  They are crazy and they are loud and I wouldn't change them.  They are a very close knit group and the loss of their patriarch was very emotional.

I'm thankful that I was able to spend the first part of the week with my family celebrating my uncle's life and recalling old stories.  A special thing that the family decided to do was to release 71 balloons after the funeral service to represent my uncle's 71 years of life.  It didn't go quite as planned.  The balloons were blown up the day before.  The colors were so pretty.


We should have waited until the morning to blow them up though.  Quite a few of them had lost their mojo by the time of the release.  We went ahead and tried anyway.  A vast majority of them fell back to the ground but a few caught the wind and flew high.  We counted 4 -- one for each one of his children.


It was a beautiful service for a beautiful man.
Rest in peace uncle Don.

3 comments:

  1. I'm sorry for your loss...
    The balloons are a cool idea, and the four actually making it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. :( I'm sorry you lost your Uncle. Prayers for comfort for you and the fam. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry for your loss, Carla. I think letting the balloons go was a beautiful thing to do. You're in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! I can't figure out how to e-mail back and say thanks so Thank You now! :)